Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Up The Ranks

As you know, I've been volunteering at the Rooftop Movies since September. It's been very busy for me, with me going straight from work to the cinema. I've enjoyed it though.

Two weeks ago I got asked if I wanted to work the box office as well. This would involve me sitting in the box office caravan (the whole place is made out of caravans, I should really get photos sometime) and greeting the customers. I would cross off their names if they'd bought their tickets online, or handle money if they haven't bought a ticket yet. Lot's of responsibility!
I took the chance, and I've worked box office around three times now. I also get paid for box office work, so that means more money towards my holiday!


This has lead up to the Perth Fringe Festival. This festival runs for all of February, and has lots of different local and international acts. It's run by the same people as the cinema. So I put in my application, and I've recently found out that I'll be working at the festival and getting paid for it.
The Rooftop Movies will be closed to the duration of the Fringe Festival, as they will be putting two tents on the roof for music acts.
I'm going to be working around five to six days a week. I'm very excited to be earning more money and to be part of the Perth art scene. I love Perth city, I love working in the area.

It's strange, but I've NEVER experienced working up the ranks before. Most of my jobs generally stay the same, with maybe a pay rise each year. I love the experience of knowing that I'm moving up the ranks.
I feel a little guilty too, because I know some of my popcorn co-workers have been there longer than me and they haven't been given the same opportunity that I have. I think "why me?" because I feel that I'm not smart/good enough for the job. I just don't 'see' it.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

If you're suited to popcorn, you stay in popcorn. If you're suited to other things, they'll notice and move you around. Perhaps you always landed in the job you were suited for on the first shot.

Laura Morrigan said...

Yay! Sounds great! It will be a wonderful experience! I am sure you deserve it, just enjoy the opportunity!

linnea-maria said...

I totally agree with the speakers above; you probably deserved it :). Good luch with your new tasks!

Morgaine Fey @Purji said...

Woo! Moving up the ranks is an odd feeling; I recently (well 3 years ago) did it to my current job. It was an odd sensation; I liked it.

Keep being amazeballs!

~Morgaine~

Lucretia said...

Yeah, your bosses must just HATE you and your work, that's why they keep offering you steps UP on the ladder, not to mention MONEY! ;-)

Seriously, I'm wondering WHY you feel you're not smart enough or good enough to deserve this. It sounds like you're the only one who feels that way. Something to think about...

Jurassic Goth said...

Sounds really good. They obviously think you're capable of doing the jobs they're giving you so just enjoy yourself ...and think of the extra cash for your holiday. So looking forward to your UK visit this year :-) xx